[WikiEN-l] Re: Personal donations to Wikipedia

Anthere Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 2 11:22:55 UTC 2006

Lisa Thurston wrote:
> Further to my email about ads on Wikipedia, I want to point out some
> concerns I have about the current Wikimedia fundraising drive too.
>
> Why haven't tax professionals been consulted to specify exactly what the
> tax-deductibility status donations to Wikipedia have in the top donor
> countries? It should be found out and explictly specified on the home page.
> I for one won't donate without knowing my donation is tax-deductible in
> Australia. And if, for instance, it did say "tax deductible in Australia"
> Aussies *would* notice it instantly seriously consider donating!

Why have not tax professional been consulted?

Who says they have not ?
In the current situation, it is pretty simple. The Foundation is a USA
based organisation. We are working in being registered in all USA
states. Having funds given to a *USA* organisation leading to tax
exemption in say Spain... is a bit of a dream I fear...

Several local chapters have already been set up, so that tax exemption
of donations to some of these local chapters is now possible (such as in
Germany and France).

> In fact, if the answer for Australia or Canada or Sweden or whatever is "not
> deductible" then Wikipedia should make a request for Wikipedians in those
> countries to form local chapters to obtain the NGO/charity status. This
> wouldn't just help Wikimedia out by generating more revenue, but create a
> stronger Wikipedian community outside US and central Europe.

I see not how *Wikipedia* should make a request for a local chapter in
say Canada. Who is Wikipedia here ?
On the other hand, several chapters are currently under discussion : one
in netherlands, one in switzerland, one in England and I saw other
discussions (I think in Canada is the case). But this is to Wikipedians
to take their future in their hands and to create associations. This is
not a top down decision. *Wikipedia* can not say "please, guys, create a
chapter in China". Only local editors can decide this.

The Foundation is helping this however, first in setting up an official
position, chapter Coordinator, who is Delphine Ménard (notafish) who you
can contact anytime to help, second in setting up a budget and rules to
help start new chapters (I proposed myself these rules for chapter
creation budget), third in having a internal mailing list and internal
wiki as well as OTRS email address to try to handle chapter creation.

You are welcome any time to get involved in this; this is totally open.
Just contact us to see how we can help. And this is correct, local
chapters will help much to sustain our goals.

cheers

ant