[WikiEN-l] Ads and image licensing

Sam Korn smoddy at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 21:03:30 UTC 2006

On 1/2/06, Anthony DiPierro <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
> "I can't imagine Mediawiki would even consider something which would
> endanger its not-for-profit status so I doubt this is a problem."  The
> thing is, I doubt very many people are aware of all the intricacies of
> US non-profit tax laws.  Most people don't know what UBTI even is.

Why would WMF worry about not being not-for-profit if it were getting
all its money from ads?  Is there some other benefit apart from being
tax-exempt?  If the net financial gain would still be an increase in
income, the paying tax seems irrelevant.

Or have I missed something crucial?  (Note that I am British and take
pride in knowing very little of the intricacies of US law.)

--
Sam