[WikiEN-l] Re: Ads on Wikipedia?

charles matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Mon Jan 2 12:50:53 UTC 2006

"Anthere" wrote

> Might another solution in the future be to really have two websites. One
> "stable", for readers only (a mirror we would run ourselves) with light
> advertisement. And the editable one with no ads (and much less traffic) ?

Questions:

(i) If the market is really saying that there is a huge revenue available
since people 'in general' don't mind ads (the good French verb is
'mithridatiser', I recall), why is no corporation not sincerely chasing this
money with a high-quality WP clone?
(ii) If WP added advertisements, what would its attitude be to GFDL
licencees of WP material who would be 'diverting' income?  Would it be
_absolutely unchanged_, i.e. 'go ahead, we give this stuff away'?

Charles