[WikiEN-l] Userboxes: A rational proposal

Steve Summit scs at eskimo.com
Mon Feb 20 16:19:31 UTC 2006

Fred Bauder wrote:
> The question I have is how can we establish a workable procedure to
> delete destructive user boxes, one that doesn't generate a lot of
> conflict and wheelwarring. AND make it vary clear that  userboxes
> which just express opinions are perfectly acceptable...
> ...I like to not have to worry about things going wrong there.

Even before establishing that workable procedure, I think there
needs to be more consideration of whether we truly want such a
procedure.  Jimbo's informal wish that people voluntarily remove
divisive and polemic userboxes doesn't seem to have done much to
defuse the current situation, but the initial few rounds of
deletions certainly haven't, either.

At the very least, we need a clearer consensus on what a truly
"destructive" user box is, so that we don't have people speedily
deleting, say, the UDUIW one.