[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia merchandise

Ben Yates bluephonic at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 22:37:56 UTC 2006

On the subject of the logo: I threw it together myself, in a vector
program.  I know it's important for wikipedia/media to have a
tightly-bound visual identity, but I couldn't see myself wearing any
of the curernt logos (and wikipedia's, at least, is much too detailed
to be plot printed).

(On money etc.: I'd much rather have my designs adopted as official
wikipedia merchandise than get any money from selling them -- it'll
look bloody amazing on a resume`.  But that may be a tall order.)

Also, the visual guidelines seem to be just for wikimedia, not
wikpedia in particular.

Anyway, thanks.  I'll contact the foundation mailing list and Maveric.

On 2/16/06, Anthere <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Ben Yates wrote:
> > The wikimedia foundation makes comparatively little from selling
> > shirts, so I've put together a new store for them on spreadshirt
> > (which has higher quality plot prints, not just digital prints -- and
> > which I am not in any way affiliated with, for the record) and come up
> > with a few new designs and a fashion-y logo-ish thing.  (I'm not a
> > designer by trade, so I'm sure these could be improved on.)
> >
> > The store is at https://www.spreadshirt.com/shop.php?sid=21410 -- let
> > me know what you think (though for god's sake don't buy anything from
> > it yet; nobody but the hosting/shirtmaking company will get any
> > money).
> >
> > Also, who else exactly should I contact about this?
> >
> > Ben Yates
>
> Hello Ben.
>
> We welcome any suggestions (such as new items) and new designs to
> improve the income rate of the merchandise. Another shop is not
> necessarily a bad idea (we could have a shop with first rate
> merchandise, more expensive; and another shop with lesser quality but
> lesser price as well).
> I also rather like some of your suggestions.
>
> Now, on the practical part.
>
> Use of logo and name : Of course, if you use the logo (which is not the
> case right now) or the brand name, do not forget copyright issues (I
> think you know about this). So, check with us for use authorization. An
> agreement should be made with regards to the right to use logo and/or
> name and benefits percentages be considered. I suggest you write about
> this at foundation-l at wikimedia.org so that we see who to put in touch
> with you.
>
> Another practical point. In case there is use of logo, there are visual
> guidelines to follow. These were transfered on the Foundation website,
> but .... which I can not find at all with the search tool (another
> mystery). Well... if you use the logo, I am sure we'll find it back :-)
>
> Another point : where does that design come from ? (the distorted W ?).
> I never saw it. So, I do not see well how buyers will associate the
> design to wikipedia (and so, purchase it as a wikipedia related item).
>
> Right now, Maveric is taking care of the english shop.

Ben Yates
Wikipedia blog - http://wikip.blogspot.com