[WikiEN-l] No more blocking people for who they *are*?

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Wed Feb 8 01:41:39 UTC 2006

W. Guy Finley wrote:

>Have I crossed into the frakking Bizarro world here or something?  What the
>hell is this NONSENSE??  The guy puts on his page "I am a pedophile" i.e. "I
>molest children" and his "joke" is more important than the obvious
>disruption it causes?  More important than the blatant insensitivity to
>those who have had someone in their family molested or perhaps even molested
>themselves?  The fact that this has absofrakkinglutely NOTHING to do with
>CREATING AN ENCYCLOPEDIA???

There are a lot of things people are greatly offended by on a personal
level, even moreso than they are offended by pedophilia.  Who is going
to draw up the list of things one cannot say on their user page due to
it being too blatantly insensitive?  It's been suggested in the past
that saying "I'm a neo-Nazi" ought to be a bannable offense.  Does that
complete the list?  Neo-Nazis and pedophiles out; everybody else ok?
Well, I suppose "I support suicide bombings" is probably out too.  Is
the ArbCom going to be in charge of making these decisions?

-Mark