[WikiEN-l] Dangers to Children

Ryan Delaney ryan.delaney at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 15:36:11 UTC 2006

On 2/6/06, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at ctelco.net> wrote:
>What can we practically do that would reduce any real risk? (I exclude
fighting among ourselves in a destructive way)

Block anyone we see actively using talk pages to groom minors I guess.
Personally I've never seen evidence of this and I can't imagine that any
pedo would be dumb enough to do it in a public forum like that. I suppose
there is some marginal risk that a pervert will meet a child through
Wikipedia just by virtue of the fact that we are so highly trafficked and we
permit user communication through our site, but there isn't much else we can
do about it short of shutting the whole thing down. It's not our
responsibility to raise people's children, and parents should know what
their kids are doing on the internet.

I say ignore it.

Ryan