[WikiEN-l] The Counter Vandalism Unit? Whaa?

Jay Converse supermo0 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 05:42:16 UTC 2006

On 2/4/06, The Cunctator <cunctator at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > better;
> of
> > > make
> > > stop
> > >
> > > Quite possibly.
> > >

> > I'd love to know what you mean by this.  Are you implying that the CVU's
> RC
> > patrollers are somehow inferior to other ones?  Is there something
> > inherently wrong that corrupts every CVU member that makes them unfit
> for
> > any job relating to vandals or administrative duties?
> >
> > This statement may be completely false, but I kind of feel like some of
> the
> > people bitching and moaning about the CVU haven't done a bit of
> > vandalfighting in months, and somehow feel that because we're doing a
> job
> > that they aren't, that we're a threat to their supremacy at... whatever.
> > I'm not sure where I'm going with that, I just feel like the CVU is
> getting
> > blasted not by other RC patrollers, or by users who've been slighted by
> them
> > (of which I know none of), but by people who have nothing to do with the
> > area of Wikipedia that the CVU deals with.
>
> Wow, never realized I could imply so much with so few words.
>
> You're rather touchy.
>
> I'm not making any particular statements about the activities or
> actions of the members of the paramilitary-named Counter Vandalism
> Unit.
>
> Okay, I'll make one now: invite-only IRC chats don't seem like the
> right way to take actions with sufficient transparency and goodwill.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I was saying it was you who had
implied that; that was more of a generalized rant and rave about in general
how I feel about all this.

And I'm not a fan of the invite-only status either; I forget whose decision
it was, but it was unilateral and makes everything a lot more cumbersome
than it needs to be.

--
Jay Converse
I'm not stupid, just selectively ignorant.