[WikiEN-l] Indefinite block and desysopping by User:Danny

Steve Bennett stevage at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 11:13:14 UTC 2006

On 21/04/06, Matt R <matt_crypto at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> What you are arguing is untenable. Even if we agree with your interpretation
> that Erik was starting a wheel-war, an indefinite block was not an appropriate
> reaction by any reasonable standard (to use your phrase). We kick people off
> the project in a limited set of circumstances: when it's clear that they are hindering
> us more than they are helping us. Danny, for all the good work that he no doubt
> does, did the wrong thing here. For him to acknowledge this in a public forum would
> be reassuring.

I'm sticking with my interpretation that the "indefinite" bit of the
block was most likely not intended to be a life ban, but was simply
Danny making a quick decision, and leaving the question of how long to
block for later reflection. I could be wrong, but that seems quite
reasonable. Sort of like how when a parent sends a kid to his room
"Until I say so", they're not really sentencing the kid to death by
starvation...

However, it would probably be better, for everyone's sake, to ban for
some conventional period like 1 week in future cases.

Steve