[WikiEN-l] Who wins?

Guy Chapman aka JzG guy.chapman at spamcop.net
Thu Apr 20 20:54:13 UTC 2006

In a project as obsessed with the fictional as Wikipedia, The Game
(game) is, I guess, an archetype: a fictional construct which one
"loses" by even acknowledging its existence.

After much agonising it was finally deleted recently.  It had survived
one AfD because "I've heard of it" trumped WP:V, it appears to have
been BJAODNed once or twice, but finally the total lack of any sources
whatsoever led to its deletion.  And a DRV debate (obviously).  And
the setting up of an external website, http://www.savethegame.org
dedicated to finding some sources for it.

Wahey!  We now have a source.  Reportedly.  I say reportedly because I
don't have a subscription to De Morgen, and I can't read Dutch anyway.

So have the trolls won?  Or has Wikipedia won?  I personally think
this is yet another example of WP:V being swept aside under an
avalanche of Google hits, a problem in several areas at present where
all the POV pushers have to do is spam as many blogs and web boards as
they can find and suddenly an article must be verifiable (it's just
that the reliable source is a long way down the list, honest).  A
supposed meme which inspires such fierce passions and which has had
its fans searching the world at the urging of a website, but which can
only come up with a single mention in a foreign-language newspaper,
does not sound to me like the kind of thing for an encyclopaedia. More
something for a Wikicities project.  but then, I am older than your
average Wikipedian, and I've seen my kids obsessed by, and lose
interest in, many things along the way.  Whether Warhammer is "better"
than Pokemon I wouldn't like to say...
Guy (JzG)
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk