[WikiEN-l] Deterioration: losing references

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Mon Apr 10 17:12:09 UTC 2006

Daniel P. B. Smith wrote:
> I'm afraid I don't, not at hand, but one phenomenon I've noticed and
> am going to make a point of documenting the next time it occurs is
> that there is a significant tendency for references to be lost over
> time.
Hopefully the new cite.php reference formatting will help in this
regard. Reference text can now be bundled directly with the text that it
is a reference for with the list of references at the bottom of the page
being automatically compiled from that. It makes it impossible to have
"orphan references" now, and perhaps having the full description of the
referenced material in place will make it harder for an editor to
accidentally delete it when removing unrelated material.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Footnotes for anyone who was
unaware of the new system. I'm loving it. :)