[WikiEN-l] Fatally Flawed, part II: The Economist corrects itself

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 10 03:56:26 UTC 2006

maru dubshinki wrote:

>On 4/9/06, Mathias Schindler <mathias.schindler at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>On 4/9/06, Carl Fûrstenberg <azatoth at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>link?
>>>

>>It should be in the dead-tree US edition.
>>
>>The Graph in the original article seems to be corrected as of today:
>>
>>http://www.economist.com/images/20060318/CSF428.gif
>>
>>It still states:
>>
>>"And after the furore over the biographical entry last year, Wikipedia
>>changed its rules so that only registered users can edit existing
>>entries, and new contributors must wait a few days before they can
>>start new ones."
>>
>>http://www.economist.com/business/displayStory.cfm?story_id=5624944
>>

>That's not the only problem. They are also using a very misleading
>article count- we don't have three million. We only have 3M if one
>counts every last entry and redirect as an article.

You seem to be laboring under the delusion that nothing exists outside
the English Wikipedia. That kind of attitude gets us a very bad
reputation in the Wikipedia community's other languages. If you read the
article, you will find that the article count there (2.6 million) is
explicitly described as covering 120 languages.

--Michael Snow