[WikiEN-l] Deterioration of Featured Articles

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Mon Apr 10 03:50:27 UTC 2006

Ben Greenberg wrote:
> The biggest problem that wikipedia is facing right now is deterioration.  I
> really don't find the featured article review to be effective enough to
> prevent featured articles from getting worse.  What ideas do you guys have
> for how we could prevent featured article deterioration?

Deterioration might not be so bad. In evolutionary optimization (for
example via genetic algorithms) a concept that's often mentioned is the
"fitness landscape", a graph showing the relative fitness of all
possible solutions to a particular problem. The landscape for most
problems is usually hilly, with peaks around the solutions that are
relatively good and valleys where they're particularly bad. But peaks
may only be locally optimal, with higher peaks elsewhere. If an article
reaches a quality peak we shouldn't be too devoted to keeping it there
since somewhere else there might be an even better possible version to
reach. For example, new material might be added covering some aspect of
the article's topic that wasn't covered previously, but the new material
has bad grammar and sparse citations and is "bad" enough to knock the
article off of Featured status. The best approach in this case is not to
just revert to the old version, but rather clean up the new material to
result in an even better article than it was before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitness_landscape#Fitness_landscapes_in_evolutionary_optimization
has a nice diagram.