[WikiEN-l] request to Jimbo for out-of-process deletion of image

Justin Cormack justin at specialbusservice.com
Mon Apr 3 11:59:50 UTC 2006

On 3 Apr 2006, at 12:06, Andrew Gray wrote:

> On 03/04/06, Alphax (Wikipedia email) <alphasigmax at gmail.com> wrote:
>> herostratus at comcast.net wrote:
>> <snip stuff about "that image">
>>
>> FWIW, Rama got a friend to take some nice montages of magazines in a
>> store - but did they go into the article? No. There is something
>> fundamentally wrong when we're willing to accept a potentially
>> offensive
>> copyvio (which we justify under "fair use") over a neutral, Free
>> image.
>
> Might be worth finding the WP:POINT stick...
>
> That said, people have a hard time accepting "replace fair use" at the
> best of times. I've been wandering through various articles where
> we're bound to have free images in the last couple of days and
> replacing the fair-use ones with free. It's surprising how many of
> these changes are reverted on sight...

Thats because "fair use" and non free content are corrupting wikipedia.
People do not understand we are supposed to be making a free
encyclopaedia
any more, because there is so much non free content in it. They think we
are trying to make a really good encyclopaedia.

Quite understandable alas. We need to go back to making a free
encyclopaedia
which means deleting tens or hundreds of thousands of non free images.

Its just wasting our time, and causing a huge distraction from the
purpose
of wikipedia.

Justinc