[WikiEN-l] Analysis of Request for Adminship

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Apr 1 20:26:16 UTC 2006

Guy Chapman aka JzG wrote:

> To be honest I am not a huge fan of self-nominations for adminship
>
>anyway.  I turned down three nominations before accepting one, and had
>to be persuaded even then.  Are we sure that Tyrenuis' assessment of
>his own fitness for adminship is objective?  Not that I'm saying he
>would not be a good admin, but it seems to me that the people who get
>given admin tools are generally the ones who are seen to be likely to
>use them, those who are active in countering vandalism, cleaning up,
>stopping wars, finding vanity and spam articles and so on.  If someone
>is not doing these things, why do they need the Wikimop?  If they are
>doing these things, they will get noticed.

Self-nomination shouldn't be an issue if the standards for being an
admin are otherwise the same.  Self-nominating is nothing more and
nothing less than letting the community know what one wants.

I think that you put undue emphasis on ferretting out the wrongdoesrs.
I would be very suspicious of a candidate who does nothing but that, and
does very little to contribute to actual articles.  How can a person
understand NPOV when he has no direct NPOV edits to his credit?  The
primary goal of Wikipedia is to build an encyclopedia; while it remains
important to deal with vandalism that must still remain a secondary and
incidental goal.

Ec