[WikiEN-l] Page freezing on "good" articles

Michael Turley michael.turley at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 03:12:52 UTC 2005

On 10/27/05, Geoff Burling <llywrch at agora.rdrop.com> wrote:
--snip--
> The continuing arguments around VfD/AfD suggests that some of the
> community does not understand -- or believe -- that there is a goal
> to this project, a place where our Wiki will eventually end. I suspect
> that FF has found another end point to our Wiki.

Hogwash.  Unless you intend to stop the flow of time and the recording
of history, there will be no "end" to the work needed at Wikipedia.

Oh, but eventually the sciences will be covered!  Or will they?  Our
pace of scientific discovery hasn't been slowing, it's been
accelerating.

Not only that, but new insight is always coming to the surface.  I
can't think of a single article on any topic that could reach a state
where it should never need to be tweaked or adjusted over the next two
hundred years.  Imagine for a moment, had Wikipedia been started a
hundred years ago.  What would the [[Thomas Jefferson]] article look
like then?  While I'd love to have a hundred years of edit history on
Thomas Jefferson to examine, I know we wouldn't accept any hundred
year old version as the "best it could be".

--
Michael Turley
User:Unfocused