[WikiEN-l] copyright question: concerning the use of scientific articles

Uwe Brauer oub at mat.ucm.es
Wed Oct 26 11:41:20 UTC 2005

Hello

Sorry if this article gets posted twice, but I presume my subscription
was not complete when I sent the following article.

I am not sure whether this is the right list to ask, if not could
somebody please point out to me the appropriate one.

I want to write an article which relies heavily on scientific
publications. (I will of course cite the relevant articles at the end
of `my' wikipedia article). What I have in mind is a summary of their
work, maybe one of ten sentences copied literally. Do I need the
permissions of the authors of these article (one author is already
dead) or could I avoid that problem in simply not copying even a
single sentence verbatim?

Or without their explicit permission I simply could not write about
the subject?

Thanks and regards

Uwe Brauer