[WikiEN-l] Re: Crappy prose isn't the main "quality" problem.

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 04:04:48 UTC 2005

That's not true. They both allow for attributed POV and analysis.

"Respected scholar John Doe has said that the impact of Pepys on
future literature is incalcuable, and at least 20 books per decade are
published on him."

..and so forth would be perfectly in line with NPOV and NOR. What
would not be appropriate are unattributed, "universalized" statements
of value, but there's nothing in NPOV or NOR which says that all value
statements whatsoever should be stripped out of articles.

And if the hypothetical statement above is only half of the story, it
is easy enough to add a line of "Though some other scholars, such as
Jane Doe, think that he is often overrated, pointing to his lack of
intersubjective hyperbolity in his later work" or whatever the case
may be.

We can push viewpoints, if we identify whose viewpoint it is and we
give them and other relevant viewpoints their own representation in a
neutral and attributed way. We just can't push *our own* viewpoints.

FF