[WikiEN-l] In The News - new name needed

Tom Cadden thomcadden at yahoo.ie
Tue Oct 25 22:24:56 UTC 2005

> Hmm... I like Current Events better than News Desk
> or Current News.
> [[WP:CN]] should stay for clueless newbies.
>
> Flcelloguy
> >From Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia.

I think News Desk would be the most apt.

Current Events is too ambiguous -

1.'current' includes the potential for covering 'what
is about to happen' as whereas the page needs to be
defined to cover what has happened.

2. It overlaps with an already existing page name.

3. It lacks a unique angle in the name.

4. It breaks the link with the existing template name.

5. Because of its ambiguity it may be difficult to get
consensus on a rename.

6. Because of its similarity with an existing page
name people may well opt to use the existing ITN
acronym informally.

News Desk is far stronger as a name.

1. It is unique, with strengthens the ability to
create name recognition.

2. It keeps a degree continuity with the same template
name, meaning that it is more likely to get a
consensus behind it.

3. It would lend itself to the creation of a template.

4. In using 'news desk' it carries a clear recognition
factor: 'news desk' is a widely used term when
covering news. All newspapers use the term, so again
its meaning in clear. It says what it is and says by
implication what it isn't.

Thom