[WikiEN-l] Re: Rambot city articles vs. other topics

Alphax alphasigmax at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 03:59:04 UTC 2005

Anthony DiPierro wrote:
> On 10/22/05, Daniel P. B. Smith <dpbsmith at verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>>One wouldn't be a problem, and neither would ten thousand. We've got
>>>thousands of articles on unremarkable cities, and I don't see a
>>>problem with
>>>that either.
>>>Anthony
>>
>>The Rambot articles shouldn't be compared to other topic classes that
>>contain articles on "non-notable" topics.
>>
>>Taken as a group, the Rambot articles are _reasonably_ comprehensive
>>(they include virtually every U. S. city, not just a minuscule
>>percentage of them); uniform in style, content, and quality; and
>>derive from good (though uncited) sources.
>

> If anything I think that only makes my point stronger. If we have the
> resources to maintain an article on virtually every U.S. city, then surely
> we have the resources to maintain an article on a tiny fraction of the
> garage bands in the world.

Except that we actually have data that the subjects of the Rambot
articles existed (censuses and the like). We have no way of verifying
the existence of many garage bands.

I have two or three reasons for deleting things: violates [[WP:NOT]]
(eg. dicdef, spam, advertisment), violates [[WP:NOR]] (eg. lacks
references, terminal POV problems), or is a CSD. Lately I've tried to
work out where "article makes no claim of notability" and "article is
unverifiable" - I think NOR covers these, but there's probably some
overlap with WP:NOT as well.

> Comparing Rambot articles to other topic classes is perfectly fine as long
> as you limit your comparison to the proper aspects. Frankly, I think the
> uniformity in style, content, and quality is a bad thing, but that wasn't
> related to the thread I was making the comparison in.

I don't. Uniformity in articles in a certain topic area is a Good Thing,
because it lets readers (and editors) know what the article /should/ be
like. We have the Manual of Style so that articles are presented in a
logical manner; David Gerard has made much better arguments than I ever
could about why we need a uniform and concise writing style.

I think the whole style, content and scope debate is best summed up as:
articles in Wikipedia should be Sane, Safe and Consensual.

- --
Alphax                      |   /"\
Encrypted Email Preferred   |   \ /     ASCII Ribbon Campaign
OpenPGP key ID: 0xF874C613  |    X   Against HTML email & vCards
http://tinyurl.com/cc9up    |   / \