[WikiEN-l] Link formatting suggestion

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Sun Oct 23 03:54:53 UTC 2005

G'day Ilya,

> Afaik you can only do it when you've hovered on the link by doing
>
> a { color: #000000; text-decoration: none; }
> a: hover { color: #0000FF; text-decoration: underline; }
>
> I don't think you can assign properties to a based on a div:hover
> pseudoelement

You can do it with JavaScript, I think.  Onmouseover, call something
like this:

function makeLinks() {
   pL = document.getElementsByTagName('A');
   for (var i = 0; i < pL.length; i++) {
     pL[i].style.color = "blue";
     pL[i].style.textDecoration = "underline";
   }
}

This breaks visited/unvisited link colours, is utterly unnecessary and
unintuitive, and rankles for ideological reasons.  However, it's
technically possible.

> Personally I do this:
>
> a { text-decoration: none; }
> a: hover { text-decoration: hover; }
>
> it makes pages a lot cleaner

That's good.  Personally I prefer having the links there, however, if'n
you've a preferred way it's great that you're using your own CSS file to
do it.

--
Mark Gallagher
"What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"