[WikiEN-l] Questionable fair use claims: a case study

steve v vertigosteve at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 21 19:46:52 UTC 2005

--- Jimmy Wales <jwales at wikia.com> wrote:
> And in my opinion, we should move to a policy
> situation where you would
> not have to go through the rigamarole you had to go
> through with this
> image.  You should have been able to delete it on
> sight as being
> tantamount to vandalism, which it essentially is.

As always, this is a question of who's authority and
who enforces it, and what checks can be in place to
remedy such. And because MW lacks any ability to do
revert an image deletion, there seems to be no degrees
of enforcement here. A template message could explain
the situation after the fact:

 On the authority vested in me by Jimbo, I hereby
 deem this [probably copyrighted] image of [a woman
 in a safari coat] as *vandalism dangerous to
 Wikipedia* and do hereby remedy the situation by
 deleting it with extreme prejudice and hence without
 any unnecessary and time-wasting debate about
 fair-use etc.

I would caution against empowering over 400 sysops
with any ability to enforce unenforceable
prejudiciality. I think its hard to find a meaningful
difference between "strange culture" and a operative
respect for Wikipedia:Civility.

SV