[WikiEN-l] Questionable fair use claims: a case study

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Thu Oct 20 16:41:39 UTC 2005

uninvited at nerstrand.net wrote:
> [[:Image:Pgsafjak3.JPG]]
>
> I offer this up as an example of some process problems we have in
> dealing with invalid fair use claims.

And in my opinion, we should move to a policy situation where you would
not have to go through the rigamarole you had to go through with this
image.  You should have been able to delete it on sight as being
tantamount to vandalism, which it essentially is.

We have this strange social culture built up around images which I
believe is caused mostly by the fact that image deletion is instantly
permanent, rather than being something that can be reverted.  If we
could revert image deletions as easily (or nearly as easily) as we
revert deletions of random bits of unacceptable text, we would be much
better able to pick and choose images wisely.

--Jimbo