[WikiEN-l] Re: The whole point of wikipedia

Ben E. bratsche1 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 03:51:54 UTC 2005

I think that a system that uses email addresses as validation is too easy to
game. Look at the popularity of sites such as Spaminator and Bugmenot. I
also think that a system that forces one to provide an email address will
drive away many potential good users. If someone is so determined to
vandalize Wikipedia, they'll find a way around any system. A potential good
user isn't as persistent. I know that I probably wouldn't have started
editing under an account if I was forced to provide an email address. Most
likely, that would have been the end of my Wikipedia use.

[[:en:User:Bratsche|Ben]]

On 10/19/05, Martin Richards <Martin at velocitymanager.com> wrote:
<snip>

> Personally I think that if

we only allowed editing from a registered with email account, the number of
> good productive editors would increase as our credibility would greatly
> increase. I know that is blasphemous and against wiki principle, but
> frankly
> I don't give a s*** about wiki principle, I am only here to make a good
> encyclopedia.
>
> p.s. I do love WIkipedia, really.
>
> Martin

Bratsche-It means "viola!"