[WikiEN-l] Re: [Wikipedia-l] Re: Placeopedia

Tom Steinberg tom at tomsteinberg.co.uk
Wed Oct 19 10:06:59 UTC 2005

> Who are the folks mediating that decision?

At the moment that's us, but for no greater reason than we happened to
built it that way, and we weren't expecting many corrections, or
indeed 6000 submissions in a couple of weeks. Making the corrections
inteface open is no problem.

 Suddenly we would have
> Wikipedia pointing (en mass) to a map system controlled by a single
> person/entity. There is not much information on their site, other than
> to mail "team at placeopedia.com." The "mysociety.org" site which
> sponsors it points to Tom Steinberg as the project leader.

  Hello!

> But given Wikipedia's tradition of openess and transparency, a strong
> link to Placeopedia, the way it operates now would seem to be rather
> incompatible with that idea.

I think you might be confusing tablets of stone with 'the way we
happened to build this project in a couple of days'. If you want it
open, it'll be open. The only question is how to make such a revision
interface work.

Tom