[WikiEN-l] Placeopedia

Tom Steinberg tom at tomsteinberg.co.uk
Tue Oct 18 21:57:56 UTC 2005

Hello everyone,

I'm the director of mySociety.org, the non-profit group that built
Placeopedia as a 'BackOtheEnvelope' project to distinguish it from the
bigger, more time consuming social sites we run like PledgeBank.com.

I've joined the list because there are some pretty important things we
need to explain about Placeopedia:

1) We built Placeopedia for four reasons.
  i - So that people could browse Wikipedia places by map
 ii - So that Wikipedia could have a nice free , rich datafeed of
long/lat info to integrate on it's own terms, in it's own timescale.
 iii - So that the world had a free geo-annotation system with an
interface that didn't suck, for use on other projects, like
www.YourHistoryHistoryHere.com.
 iv - In case any of the nice Wikipedians were interested in helping
out with our other projects.

2) We did *not* build Placeopedia with the idea that:
 i - Anyone would put Placeopedia links straight onto Wikipedia pages
 ii - We would write our own script and add long/lat data to Wikipedia
in an automated fashion.

So when you discuss how Placeopedia fits in, that's our perspective.

thanks,

Tom

On 10/17/05, Angela <beesley at gmail.com> wrote:
> Placeopedia is an online application which integrates Google Maps
> images and Wikipedia encyclopedia articles.See
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placeopedia>
> and<http://www.placeopedia.com/>.
>
> The Board are currently working on a logo licensing contract which
> would permit such sites to use the Wikipedia logo.
>
> A new mailing list for Placeopedia has recently been created at
> <http://www.mysociety.org/mailman/listinfo/mysociety-maps> and they
> would welcome input from Wikipedians on various aspects of the site.
>
> For example, some issues already raised are whether links to
> Placeopedia should be added automatically to all Wikipedia articles
> that have a corresponding entry in Placeopedia. There is already a
> template for this on the English Wikipedia
> (<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Placeopedia>) but so far any
> links have only been added manually.
>
> Another issue is whether users of Placepedia should be able to add
> categories to Wikipedia directly from Placeopedia.
>
> If you have an interest in maps, please join the mailing list to help
> answer these Wikipedia-related questions.
>
> Angela.
Director, mySociety
07811 082158
Have you signed up to get local alerts from www.pledgebank.com ?