[WikiEN-l] So what do we do about this?

Guettarda guettarda at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 18:36:27 UTC 2005

On 10/18/05, Philip Sandifer <snowspinner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 18, 2005, at 1:33 PM, Guettarda wrote:
>

> > I see. So saying "obviously you support election fraud" would be
> > appropriate
> > too, and not "needlessly" inflammatory? Interesting.
> >

> I don't know how to answer this, except to say this. I have taught
> freshman composition at a respected university, focusing particularly
> on research. If one of my students handed me a paper that used those
> citations in that way, I would fail them.

What does that have to do with your decision to insult your fellow editors?
I would fail students for submitting half of the articles in Wikipedia - but
I would not tell them that they were bad people for submitting poorly
sourced material. In fact, I'd be thrilled to have someone show some
evidence that they were thinking, and not just repeating back to me what I
told them.

More to the point though, since you brought up your experience teaching
comp, wouldn't you fail a student for submitting an entirely off-topic
answer to your question?

Ian