[WikiEN-l] Re: On Clarity and Generalists

Phil Boswell phil.boswell at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 14:23:31 UTC 2005

"Stephen Bain" <stephen.bain at gmail.com> wrote
in message
news:f30e42de0510150615x4cf575d0ld1a888b4e65ecb59 at mail.gmail.com...
On 10/15/05, Anthony DiPierro
<wikispam at inbox.org> wrote:
> > Is Wikipedia simply a general encyclopedia? I always thought it was more
> > than that. I think the goal is really to include general information and
> > specific information, and let the user navigate easily between the two.
> > Maybe I'm wrong about this, though. It's an interesting question.
> There's room for both. Since wiki is not paper (as we are so often
> told) there is plenty of room for general articles on general
> subjects, and specific articles on specific subjects. As a reader, I
> would probably expect (and want) to find the most general information
> first, and have the option of looking at specific information if I
> should so desire. Confronting readers with all available information
> at once just gets confusing.

I agree with the above, with the proviso (for the avoidance of doubt) that
we should not avoid providing specific information in fear of confusing a
reader who stumbles upon an article on some arcane subject. We should
instead provide clear and obvious pointers to alternative articles which
present a simplified view.

Sometimes, it might be suitable to combine the simplified and detailed views
into one article, but often that merely makes it too long and complex for
ease of navigation.

On the other hand there is the perennial problem of having an article on
some abstruse subject nominated for deletion on the grounds that the person
who stumbled upon it can't understand it, so it must be "non-notable". We'll
just have to deal with that as it arises :-)
--
Phil
[[en:User:Phil Boswell]]