[WikiEN-l] Why AFD works Great

Anthony DiPierro wikispam at inbox.org
Tue Oct 18 00:16:33 UTC 2005

On 10/17/05, MacGyverMagic/Mgm <macgyvermagic at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/17/05, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
> > geni wrote:

> > >Not legal.
> > >
> > According to what law?
> > Ec

> Articles are not only deleted for being crap, sometimes an article is
> also deleted for containing possibly libellous information or info
> that could violate someone's privacy. Access to such information
> should be limited to a minimum of people. Keeping it as historical
> evidence in case we need it in legal accusations so we can retrace who
> said what and posted what is essential to Wikipedia, which is why
> something is rarely completely purged from the database.

Wikimedia is more of a common carrier and not responsible for libel anyway,
but certainly couldn't and shouldn't be held responsible for libel which is
contained in the historical archive of things which were written by others.

As for any information which would violate someone's privacy, that should be
removed entirely, not kept around for admins to read. Even if you think we
should keep it to use as evidence, which I disagree with, that's not a
reason to allow admins to view it. If we want to keep access to such
information to a minimum of people, then we shouldn't provide access to all
admins.

--Mgm

Anthony