[WikiEN-l] Trademarked images and image use policies in non-English Wikipedias

Nyenyec N nyenyec at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 15:48:09 UTC 2005

Hi,

In HuWiki there's an ongoing debate over trademarked images, such as
company logos. On the one hand, they're usually copyrighted so they
shouldn't be uploaded, on the other hand they can be used to
illustrate encyclopedia articles about the specific company without
the fear of anyone suing us.

I know that they cannot be uploaded to commons (since they're
copyrighted) and I think the German Wikipedia also doesn't allow such
images, since they don't have a free license.

I'd be really interested in reading about what decisions the other
language versions of Wikipedia made and why.

Can someone point me to a place where I can discuss this (preferably
in English)?

Thanks,
nyenyec