[WikiEN-l] How many Arbitrators should we have?

Michael Turley michael.turley at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 15:40:22 UTC 2005

On 10/6/05, Ryan Delaney <ryan.delaney at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was thinking of calling them "arbitrators" and everyone on what is
> now ArbCom becomes a "senior arbitrator". But the language isn't all
> that important to me. If we can get the idea pushed through, they can
> call it whatever they want as far as I am concerned. :-)
>
> Right now, I'm not too opposed to the idea of letting this be any
> administrator-in-good-standing (say, one with no RFA actions pending
> against him) who volunteers for the job. Like Michael Turley said,
> this wouldn't be a job that most people find appealing. It would be
> thankless and difficult, and a magistrate wouldn't even have the
> satisfaction of getting to make a final decision at the end.

There are a lot of current administrators that I've either voted to
support, or simply refused to vote oppose in their RfA that I would
never consider supporting in the position of an arbitrator.  If I'd
thought that one future day they'd get handed the authority to
arbitrate in any way stronger than they now can (by blocking, page
locking, etc) it would certainly have been less "no big deal" and a
lot more "let's screen these people very carefully".

Keeping adminship "no big deal" has to include keeping the authorities
granted to them in the same general class.

Further, I don't think I should be excluded as a possible arbitrator
simply because I have no interest in the toolbox of an admin other
than rollback.
--
Michael Turley
User:Unfocused