[WikiEN-l] Will Wikipedia Swallow Google?

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 20:36:41 UTC 2005

On 05/10/05, charles matthews <charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Title of a column in today's London Independent, by technology correspondent
> Charles Arthur.  Oh, BTW, it's favourable to WP.

I noticed that...

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_technology/article317360.ece

"Wikipedia is the top result on Google, the site that the most links
point to from elsewhere on the web"

Someone seems to have claimed recently that the top ranking of
everything on Google is Wikipedia:

http://www.socialtext.com/weblog/050930wpvsgoogle.html

The problem is, it seems to be a rather impressively flawed claim, for example:

http://google.weblogsinc.com/entry/1234000260061718/

(Incidentally, the *+* search now seems to not work - it was
displaying much odder results earlier in the day. I tend towards the
"weird glitch in google" rather than the "sekrit underlying hierarchy
of teh web revealed" theory...)

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk