[WikiEN-l] Re: WikiEN-l Digest, Vol 27, Issue 34

Daniel P. B. Smith dpbsmith at verizon.net
Tue Oct 4 22:46:24 UTC 2005

>> On Oct 4, 2005, at 4:32 AM, Ray Saintonge wrote:
>>
>>> These are excellent observations.  My son's Social Studies teacher
>>> is an info geek who is familiar with Wikipedia.  I should ask
>>> him  if
>>> he would be willing to run a survey of his class asking:  "What
>>> belongs in an encyclopedia?" and "What should not be in an
>>> encyclopedia?"
>>>

>> I think it would be important to specify "Wikipedia" not "an
>> encyclopedia," so as to avoid treating Wikipedia like paper.

WHAT?

I've suspected for some time that there is a faction that does not
think Wikipedia should be an encyclopedia, but this is the first time
I've seen this stated in so many words.

So much for "five pillars."

Daniel P. B. Smith, dpbsmith at verizon.net
"Elinor Goulding Smith's Great Big Messy Book" is now back in print!
Sample chapter at http://world.std.com/~dpbsmith/messy.html
Buy it at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1403314063/