[WikiEN-l] What Readers Say on Inclusion

Philip Sandifer snowspinner at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 15:02:29 UTC 2005

I just did a very informal poll among friends I have who do not edit
Wikipedia, but who read it, on the matter of when an article should
be deleted.

I did not express my own opinion to any of them and solicit
agreement. So the fact that they are my friends so, naturally, they
agree with me doesn't play into this. On the other hand, the
possibility that I am naturally prone to talking to people who
basically agree with me, even on issues we haven't discussed, might.

In any case - no one I talked to mentioned notability as a reason to
delete. All of them, upon being specifically asked about notability,
generally took a "whatever" approach to it, with several specifically
saying, "No, if the article isn't lies, it should definitely be
included no matter how trivial the topic." Other views included "If
the topic is mentioned in another article, and that mention wasn't
created specifically to make an excuse to have an article, it should
be included" (The closest thing to a deletionist position I got) and
"If someone cares enough to create it, it should probably not be
deleted, even though that someone might be being an idiot."

Which doesn't prove anything, I'll be the first to admit. But I think
this is an important thing we haven't been asking - what do readers
think. Most of the people expressing their opinions on this inclusion/
exclusion debate are editors. Most of us, in fact, are very jaded
editors. And we are an incredible minority among the people who load
en.wikipedia.org every day. And we should bear that in mind - because
after a bit of talking to readers, I think people really do want us
to try to be a place where you can find any piece of knowledge or
fact. To a degree, actually, that's even beyond what I think is
important to achieve (Although I still would rather leave in garage
bands than exclude notable but obscure topics, and I still don't care
enough to delete garage bands myself).

-Snowspinner