[WikiEN-l] Afd nominations

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 11:21:09 UTC 2005

>I see both extremes as very BAD. Ferries may not appear notable to a
>random individual, but if they're the longest running one on a certain
>route, no one will doubt it needs inclusion. Animals, cities,
>scientists, and historical events are covered in regular
>encyclopedias, so we need to cover them too.

I see no reason any given field needs an *arbitrary* cutoff for the
sake of having a cutoff. If we can achieve actual completeness in some
area (e.g. articles on US towns), why the hell shouldn't we?

>When people fight for the inclusion of websites and webcomics (for
>example) it's more of a vanity issue. It may be verifiable and
>presented in an NPOV manner, but the fact they're trying to get a
>comic/site with a tiny audience into a general purpose encyclopedia is
>POV too, an attempt at promotion.

Surely third-party verifiability takes care of this one. If someone
else cares to write something verifiable about it, it should get in.

- d.