[WikiEN-l] Re: Becoming more encyclopedia-like: 1: Encephalon's comments

Daniel P. B. Smith dpbsmith at verizon.net
Sat Oct 1 14:24:19 UTC 2005

> From: Alphax <alphasigmax at gmail.com>
> Inclusionists and Deletionists are playing what they think is a
> zero-sum
> game. It's WORSE than that: the mere presence of their mindless
> ranting
> is actually HURTING Wikipedia. By arguing over what should be
> kept/deleted, we lose information. We lose readers. We lose editors.
>
> The solution:
>
> Become more encylopedia-like.
>
> For just about every value of X, where the number of total X is
> sufficiently large, we can make more logical and more comprehensive
> articles by MERGING the bits of information we have (which on their
> own,
> are perma-stubs) into more comprehensive articles on the topic.
>
> In doing so, we play a BETTER than zero-sum game. We build articles
> that
> a "traditional" encyclopedia would be jealous of. We HELP Wikipedia by
> having articles that both retain information and look professional.

I'd like to call attention to some remarks by Encephalon. I hesitate
to do this because of the context that they're in, and I hope he/she
will work them up into a standalone essay, but nevertheless. Take a
look in

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/
Lingnan_Primary_School

near the bottom, the portion that begins:

Wikipedia is an encyclopedia. That is the very first thing you read
under Key Policies (WP:RULES), the main page of the essential rules
that govern this encyclopedia. It is the very first thing that you
read in the fundamental five pillars (WP:5P). The fundamental
requirements of encyclopedia writing are enshrined in the basic,
fundamental tenets of its policies. WP:V, WP:NOR, WP:NPOV are each
and all fundamental rules that we may not ignore as we please...

...and the subsequent discussion, and this _very interesting_ comment:

"I am using the criteria all of us should use: the principles central
to writing encyclopedic articles on WP. Pages which violate those
policies should be removed, whether they've been on WP for 3 weeks or
3 years, whether they pertain to the United States or to sub-Saharan
Africa. Likewise, pages that are written in accordance with such
principles should be kept, no matter how obscure or unknown to WPns
at large."

Daniel P. B. Smith, dpbsmith at verizon.net
"Elinor Goulding Smith's Great Big Messy Book" is now back in print!
Sample chapter at http://world.std.com/~dpbsmith/messy.html
Buy it at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1403314063/