[WikiEN-l] Recent goings-on

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Tue May 31 07:28:04 UTC 2005

Skyring wrote

>Somewhere along the way, Wikipedia seems to have lost something
valuable. I look at this list and just about everything I see is one
group of editors bickering with another group.

We gained ... an encyclopedia: 500000 articles in March, 10% added smoothly
since then.

Nobody should kid themselves that there was ever a golden time when there
was no 'bickering'.  If you look at the traffic numbers you see huge growth.
Every month or so an asocial user kicking up a fuss about the way things are
handled... it's the price we pay for being a radically open community.
Remember, this is a big volunteer project; all that happens is that some
people simply make it too hard for them to be accepted as volunteers.

Charles