[WikiEN-l] Recent goings-on

A Nony Mouse tempforcomments at hotmail.com
Tue May 31 05:30:01 UTC 2005

Whether he is "barely" deserving of a fair treatment or otherwise, nobody
here has given him a fair treatment by any stretch of the imagination.

That won't do.

I also have Phil's "circle the wagons" rant up above. He thinks expansion
kills online communities. I think he's right.

Expansion kills online communities because of people like Phil who won't
admit that they need to let go and they need to deal with the new people
coming in fairly. People like Phil who think that "shoot them all unless
they are exactly like us and make no noise whatsoever" is the way to go
about dealing with newbies.

Now you know why I went anonymous. If I didn't Phil would be leading a
charge to have me removed right now for saying that.

David and SlimVirgin's behaviour in this matter has been sub-par. So has the
behaviour of the rest of you on this list. This doesn't just affect that one
user. It affects everyone they tell about Wikipedia. It affects everyone who
agreed with them on one topic or another at Wikipedia. I've only looked at
the Enviroknot profile for any length of time but based on its list of
contributions there was potential for a good editor. Solid edits were made
and backed up on talk pages, edit summaries and wikipedia policies were
properly referenced.

The only offense I can see in the Enviroknot profile is a pair of 3RR
violations. The one SlimVirgin put in tonight is totally unjustified. The
one earlier when people were claiming Enviroknot was also another IP address
is pushing your luck.

Meanwhile, editors and administrators alike have been hounding that profile
looking for any excuse to attack it. None of you bothered to set aside your
feelings long enough to look at the situation.

That isn't right. The behaviour of all of you in this scenario is making me
sick to my stomach. I thought you were better than this. If that's really
Phil's attitude, then there's no way he should be given power at Wikipedia.
If the rest of you share that attitude, then Wikipedia is doomed.

A.Nony.Mouse, for the purpose of this conversation.