[WikiEN-l] Re: Article size consistency 32k

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Mon May 23 10:21:15 UTC 2005

Timwi (timwi at gmx.net) [050523 11:37]:
> John R. Owens wrote:

> >I don't know if this might have ever been suggested before already,
> >but perhaps a change in software could allow us to set a maximum
> >image size in our user preferences? Either in width/height, e.g.
> >"always shrink images to less than 200 pixels wide or 150 pixels
> >high, whichever is smaller", or in kB, e.g. "always shrink images to
> >less than 10 kB".

> This is absolutely brilliant. I love and support this idea.

Sounds good to me too.

> Not because I have a slow connection (which I do, but I don't mind), but
> rather because I'm getting annoyed when people make images so huge
> because they have a 1280x1024 resolution and they think everyone else
> must have that too. (I even had one replying back to me saying "Not
> everyone has a resolution as low as yours, so please leave the image
> this big!")

We have thumbnailing code, so it does make some sense to have images be
huge on the page and reduced as needed.

> >And of course, you probably wouldn't want the rule applied to Image:
> >namespace pages.

> Yes, you do want it applied to Image:-namespace pages. The actual image
> above it is not part of the page. :)

We already have such a size limitation for the Image: pages as an option in
preferences. Perhaps it just needs some even smaller settings.

> >But then again, you might also end up with weird formatting, when the
> >author/editor inserting into a page doesn't know how large the image
> >ends up being displayed.

> People should learn that formatting is more than just looking at what it
> looks like on *your* screen. Pages must be formatted in such a way that
> they are readable on any resolution (OK, I guess we can assume a minimum
> resolution of 800x600, but not more!). Resizing your window is all it
> takes to check. Once this is done properly, varying sizes of images
> shouldn't have any adverse effect on the formatting.

This is a matter of editorial judgement. "Image reshuffle" is an occasional
edit summary of mine.

- d.