[WikiEN-l] Re: WikiEN-l Digest, Vol 22, Issue 81

dpbsmith at verizon.net dpbsmith at verizon.net
Sat May 21 22:41:26 UTC 2005

> From: Daniel Mayer <maveric149 at yahoo.com>
>
> --- Richard Rabinowitz <rickyrab at eden.rutgers.edu> wrote:
>> College term papers generally are double-spaced. Internet printouts
>> tend
>> to be single spaced. Sure you're not taking that into account?
>
> Hm. Good point. I went to a uni whose administration thought writing
> was very
> important. Thus single space. Last time I was asked to double space
> was high
> school.

????? The purpose of double-spacing is to
allow for editors' notes and proofreaders' marks.
I.e. double-spaced material = material intended for
eventual publication.

Our high school newspaper required triple-spacing.
Whether that was a normal journalistic practice or
peculiar to that high school (and/or its printer) I
don't know...

Daniel P. B. Smith, dpbsmith at verizon.net
"Elinor Goulding Smith's Great Big Messy Book" is now back in print!
Sample chapter at http://world.std.com/~dpbsmith/messy.html
Buy it at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1403314063/