[WikiEN-l] Non-commercial only and By Permission Only Images to be deleted

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Fri May 20 22:54:22 UTC 2005

Gregory Maxwell:

> The vast majority of the images we have taken from stock exchange are
> mediocre images of everyday objects

Have you performed a survey? SXC is a community project just like
Wikimedia. Besides everyday objects, it includes photos from all around
the world, e.g.:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Orthodox_monk_in_curch%2C_Romania.jpg
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Conquistador%27s_monument_in_Lisbon.jpg
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Alhambra_Grenade_mlkfj.jpg
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Autumn_on_lake%2C_Cottonwood%2C_Arizona.jpg
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Ataturk%27s_Mausoleum_in_Ankara_%28tr%29.jpg
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Taj_Mahal_1_by_alexfurr.jpg
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Medina_tower_in_Sousse%2C_Tunisia.jpg
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Andes_Mountain_by_Apile.jpg
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Mekong_by_skawimp.jpg
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Truli_houses_in_Alberobello%2C_Italy._Unesco.jpg
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Temple_of_Komombo_in_the_late_afternoon_sun.jpg

If you can manage to take equivalent photos of all these locations in
one afternoon, I'll be seriously impressed.

In its terms and marketing, SXC is clearly intended as a free (as in
speech) content repository. As a community, we have decided that the
most sensible policy is to follow the *usage terms stated on the image
description pages*.

I agree with you that, if a photographer states contradictory terms in
their profile, we should generally get in touch with them and clarify
the situation. But photos which are unambiguously flagged as "no usage
restrictions" are perfectly fine. There's no grey area here. It's not
our job to proactively make sure that users have not mistakenly made
their material available as free content.

However, SXC photos should *not* be labeled public domain. If you see
them tagged as such, please change it to {{CopyrightedFreeUse}}.

Erik