[WikiEN-l] The schools table

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed May 18 22:24:49 UTC 2005

Gregory Maxwell wrote:

>On 5/18/05, Tony Sidaway <minorityreport at bluebottle.com> wrote:
>

>>Notability is not really definable.  Jimbo has even suggested that it's a
>>proxy for verifiability.
>>

>We need a [[Wikipedia:Quoting Jimbo doesn't replace orignal thought]].
>
>I know what Jimbo said. I would be shocked if he intended it to be
>taken to the extremes that you are suggesting.

Tony said that Jimbo "suggested", so that is not really an extreme approach.

Be that as it may, your point about quoting Jimbo is well taken.  "Jimbo
says ..." is often used as some kind of drop dead argument.  That makes
it difficult for him to have an ordinary opinion on a current issue
without somebody interpreting that opinion as being ''ex cathedra''.  In
the wake of the first Vatican Council even Pius IX recognized that his
infalibility would have limited application.

Ec