[WikiEN-l] Re: Announcing a policy proposal: Why I devised this proposal

Timwi timwi at gmx.net
Wed May 18 16:47:09 UTC 2005

steven l. rubenstein wrote:

> But it seems to me that you and others do not accept and respect my
> feelings.  I am offended.

Millions of people on this planet still have racist attitudes and are
offended by the sight of the face of a member of a race that isn't their
own. Should we therefore remove all photographs of people from
Wikipedia? Even more people are offended by the sight of a woman's face...

Similarly, people are offended by images of violence, by diagrams of sex
organs, by American spelling, by the colour of links...

You see, just because we don't all agree to your proposal, doesn't mean
that we don't acknowledge that something may offend you, or that we
think it is silly to get offended at it, etc.

It's just not practical to make Wikipedia so that it won't offend anybody.

Also, by proposing that AD/BC should be banned from
non-Christianity-related articles and then supporting it by saying that
you are offended, you are quite conveniently ignoring the millions of
people who are offended by CE/BCE in general.

Timwi