[WikiEN-l] Announcing a policy proposal

steven l. rubenstein rubenste at ohiou.edu
Tue May 17 21:13:39 UTC 2005

RickK wrote,

>Just because someone (and apparently a majority of the
>people who have expressed an opinion) disagrees with
>your interpretation of NPOV does not mean that we
>don't understand it.
>
>RickK

Rick, I do not think some people do not understand our NPOV policy because
they disagree with me, I think they do not understand (or are committed to)
our NPOV policy because of the way they explain their objections.

I have already shared with the list that there are some people who disagree
with my proposal but whom I respect for their thoughtful explanations.  And
there are a few people I didn't mention.  And in many cases, I told them I
respected their views in a comment to their vote, in the proposal page
itself.  There are many "opposed" votes -- I haven't counted, but if it is
less than half it is still a large number -- that I respect and cannot
argue against.  But there are at least as many votes, and comments on the
page, that convince me that many people do not understand or are committed
to our NPOV policy.

Steve

Steven L. Rubenstein
Associate Professor
Department of Sociology and Anthropology
Bentley Annex
Ohio University
Athens, Ohio 45701