[WikiEN-l] Metric road signs in the U. S.

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon May 16 23:32:46 UTC 2005

Tony Sidaway wrote:

>>I do NOT remember any political "explosion" at all. Just apathy.
>>

>Things are slightly different in the UK, where Europeanization is a bit of
>a political football.  Tell British drivers they must stick to a 50kph
>speed limit and there's liable to be a lot of political fallout, if not
>actual damage, concerning road crash statistics.

The difference between the Canadian and British experience on
metrication is a bit like removing a band-aid.  Do you pull it off
quickly or slowly?  The British started a few years before us, and are
still experiencing pains over it.  Most of the visible changes here were
finished in less than a decade; the British have been at it for over 40
years, and without the need to do so under the shadow of the tail from a
very imperial bald eagle.

Ec