[WikiEN-l] Metric road signs in the U. S.

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Mon May 16 20:43:36 UTC 2005

--- dpbsmith at verizon.net wrote:
> highway requirement. Many signs DID get changed, enough for them to become a
> reasonably familiar sight. Cars produced during that time period had both
> miles per hours and kilometers per hour marked on their speedometers,
> although odometers continued to read in miles.

I don't know how things are in other nations, but in the United States the
standards to get a drivers license are so low that really stupid people are
allowed to drive. For example, a 70% score on written driving tests is enough
to pass in most states, meaning you can screw up 30% of the time!  I imagine
many of these idiots got confused by the dual system, thus the current
pandering to the lowest common denominator.

Traffic would be much better if 95% scores were mandated to get a license. But
since most U.S. cities are built in a way that almost requires the use of an
auto, I don't think that will ever happen.

-- mav