[WikiEN-l] Irate impersonating me on IRC

Matt R matt_crypto at yahoo.co.uk
Sun May 15 22:16:58 UTC 2005

--- David Gerard <fun at thingy.apana.org.au> wrote:
> David 'DJ' Hedley (spyders at btinternet.com) [050515 23:47]:
> > From: "David Gerard" <fun at thingy.apana.org.au>
>
> > > If you see someone on IRC coming from 217.44.0.0/16 with a nick that's a
> > > variation on my name, it's not me, it's Irate.
> > > User:The Number comes from the same range (it's btcentralplus.com, so
> > > that's giving away approximately nothing) and may or may not be the same
> > > person. Although The Number doesn't use trademark Irate typos.
>
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:The_Number suggests a very similiar
> > character so I wouldn't be at all surprised.
>
> I'll check for typos. Irate's habit of typing too fast and not bothering to
> correct himself leads to various trademark typos. If The Number is Irate,
> The Number can be blocked promptly as Irate trolling.

>From a quick check, I would suspect User:The Number to be a different entity
from User:Irate. Bradley/Irate has a very distinctive writing style
characterised by typos (as you note above) and poor grammar to the point of
incomprehensibility (e.g. "her is the news it is Gerard that does not
understand anything excpect manipulation" from a recent email). User:The Number
doesn't seem to have the same problems with his/her writing.

Irate's IRC impersonations are out of order, of course -- and yes,
"DavidGerard2" does indeed count as impersonation...

-- Matt