[WikiEN-l] Re: Corrected (Wollmann)

Phil Boswell phil.boswell at gmail.com
Fri May 13 08:40:07 UTC 2005

"Anthere" <anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote in
message news:4283EC15.50408 at yahoo.com...
> Tony Sidaway a écrit:
> > Poor, Edmund W said:
> >
> >>Why not write a Wikipedia about Wollman, if he's that fascinating? If
> >>it survives the VFD process, than that might give us an excuse to
> >>mention him via a link from kooks newsgroup. But if it fails a vfd
> >>vote, that's pretty conclusive evidence that he's "non-notable".
> > Been there, done that.
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Votes_for_deletion/Edmond_Wollmann
> The page leads nowhere...
> so, why was it deleted ?

>From a quick perusal and in very broad terms, because people are confusing
"non-encyclopaedic" with "non-notable".

Unless I'm very much mistaken, the idea of constructing an encyclopaedia is
to gather together crumbs of information that individually are not
particularly helpful to construct a whole which is.

There seems to be a group of people who are intent on pulling out the centre
of the loaf, leaving just the crust which will then implode under its own
weight.

The attitude of "well I've never heard of him so he can't deserve an
article" is entirely too prevalent and needs to be addressed before we turn
into just a list of people *everybody* knows about already.
--
Phil
[[en:User:Phil Boswell]]