[WikiEN-l] RE: Corrected

Stan Shebs shebs at apple.com
Fri May 13 06:17:01 UTC 2005

geni wrote:

>>Perhaps more realistically, we want to be so credible and widely
>>used that merely publishing the C&D letter on the main page will
>>cause the foolhardy company to get deluged with hate mail and
>>backpedal within 24 hours, disavowing any knowledge of the law
>>firm that sent the letter. We've shown we can raise thousands of
>>dollars within a few days just by asking; that's a reservoir of
>>good will that can help us deal with a wide variety of threats.
>>

>I would suggest against any form of vigilantism. Apart from anything
>else sooner or latter you run into someone who doesn't care. Then you
>are in real trouble.

What do you mean, "vigilantism"? We just don't need to tiptoe around
scared that one mistake by some anon editor will force us to shut
down. We're not some kind of dubious dotcom with a shady biz model,
we're as open and truthful as we know how, we're dedicated to facts
more than agendas, and best of all, we're giving away stuff for free.

That's a very powerful story, and we should be making everybody
aware of it, not chewing our fingernails in fear of corporate
lawyers. Suing WP should come to be regarded as worse than suing nuns.

Stan