[WikiEN-l] Re: Corrected (Wollmann)

Sean Barrett sean at epoptic.org
Thu May 12 21:52:43 UTC 2005

> Well, Wikipedia probably wouldn't be vulnerable, but where individuals are
> involved he could get a default judgement in a plaintiff-friendly UK court
> for a no-show defendant in the US, with costs awarded (which is very
> common in UK cases), and then use that as leverage in the US.  This
> technique has been tried against Usenet posters and worked well.  Since
> Wikipedia content is produced by individuals who are often identifiable it
> would probably work as well on Wikipedia.
> He may have to demonstrate standing to sue in UK courts, but that could be
> as simple as selling books through Amazon.co.uk--which Wollmann does, as
> it happens.

Yes, yes, the situation is hopeless.  We're all going to be sued into
abject homeless poverty if we date to publish anything but the
innocuous pablum known to Western Civilization.

We'll begin by renaming it the Nicepedia.

--
 Sean Barrett     | You wouldn't understand. It's
 sean at epoptic.com | a "root of all evil" thing.